7A – Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

For this exercise, I'd like you to do the following:
2) Clearly state the opportunity you have identified, including the who, what, why. For instance, "Solar Panels are easily accessible and affordable but are not in large use in the state of Florida"
  • The who: Solar Panel Usage amongst citizens 
  • The what: Citizens are unable to easily purchase and install Solar Panels
  • The why: Utility companies are lobbying against Solar Panels providers
3) This is your 'hypothesis' about the opportunity. It is a statement of your belief related to an opportunity. I'd like you to test the boundaries of the hypothesis by pushing and prodding each of the three elements. That means:
Testing the who: Are there others who have this need? Everyone should have this need 

Testing the what: What are the boundaries of the need? The cost of installation, and getting people to care to go green

Testing the why: People would get solar panels to be sustainable and help our environment as well as save money in the long run on utilities.


  • 4) In Part 1, you must interview five people. These interviews must be lengthy enough for you to get the information you need. In these interviews, you want to ask questions that try to capture the variation in the whos, whats, and whys, and your objective is to test the boundaries of your opportunity hypothesis. 
1.) Kenia - No, I don't own a house, I live in an apartment. Yes, if I could install solar panels at a low cost where it would be feasible then yes I would install on top of my apartment. I think my roommates and myself would all benefit from it. If you told me right now I could have it installed and that I would have to pay, I would NOT get it installed. This would be for the future when I own a house 

2.) Armando- No. I live in an apartment. No, I would not install solar panels because of the initial installation costs. The planet would for sure benefit from me installing the panels but I am not going to install. Same answer no. I would not install until installation price dropped. 

3.) Nika- No, I don't live in a house. I am not sure, not really versed on the subject so I am not sure if it would be viable. I am sure it would be great for the world but personally at monetary expenses probably not. I would benefit and the planet for sure and honestly the state of Florida. 

4.) Delia- I live in a rented out the apartment, I want to move into a house through next year. I probably wouldn't install solar panels if I had the option just because of the cost and maintenance since we are all college students. We would all benefit I think UF has solar panels, that's really cool I have read it. I would so do it later on in life. 

5.) Amanda - I live in a rented apartment in Boston. I will potentially purchase a house hopefully within the next 5 years with my future husband. I will for sure install solar panels and be happy for not just my family to be taking the green initiative into helping our planet. 

Basically, from my interviews, I found out that within our demographics - the first 4. Most are not well versed in the cost, maintenance, or laws on solar panels especially in Florida much less all of the United States. Amanda is older within the 25-30 range so much more versed in the area as well as other sustainable things as she worked with Mckinsey and Company in the clean energy sector. 

Comments